Re: Indian Rupee Sign to be chosen today

From: Tulasi (tulasird@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2010 - 16:42:36 CDT

Thanks friends for explaining "Rx".
I am confident, this "Rx" like Rupee symbol will not pass Indian Parliament :-')

How about I draw Rupee sign(s) if you guys back me up?

Tulasi

From: Christopher Miller <christophermiller@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 18:36:11 -0400
Subject: Re: Indian Rupee Sign to be chosen today
To: Tulasi <tulasird@gmail.com>
Cc: Christopher Miller <christophermiller@mac.com>, unicode Unicode
Discussion <unicode@unicode.org>

On 2010-06-27, at 6:09 PM, Tulasi wrote:

> All looks close to sort of handwritten "Rx"
> But what does "Rx" means?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_prescription

Christopher Miller
Montreal QC Canada

From: Leo Broukhis <leob@mailcom.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 15:45:43 -0700
To: Tulasi <tulasird@gmail.com>
Cc: unicode Unicode Discussion <unicode@unicode.org>

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Tulasi <tulasird@gmail.com> wrote:
> Were there any from this group took part in the competition?
>
>> http://www.pluggd.in/indian-rupee-symbol-297/
>> I don't know if this is a joke or not, but none of those five is any good.
>
> Exactly!
>
>> Just so they don't choose one of the ones that look dangerously like "Rx" signs.
>
> All looks close to sort of handwritten "Rx"
> But what does "Rx" means?

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/211e/index.htm

PRESCRIPTION TAKE
recipe
cross ratio

Another question nobody had asked so far in this thread is what will happen to

U+20A8 RUPEE SIGN

A country cannot reasonably expect that every modification of its
currency symbol will be accommodated by a new BMP character, can it?

Leo