Modifiers from punctuation (was: "Re: How to encode reversed section sign?")

From: António MARTINS-Tuválkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2010 - 11:56:05 CDT

    On 2010.08.06, 10:06, Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com> wrote:

    > Recently I wrote a proposal to encode TOP HALF SECTION SIGN. See
    > http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3740.pdf

    It is, as usual, very interesting to read on its own — once more, thank
    you, Michael!

    >> “Palaeotype”, a pre-IPA phonetic alphabet used by Alexander Ellis in
    >> his massive and classic four-volume work on early English
    >> pronunciation, published in 1869. The TURNED COMMA indicates
    >> nasalization, so (in modern IPA) a⸲ means [ã]. Palaeotype also uses
    >> the punctuation marks , (COMMA) and ,, (two COMMAs side by side) and .
    >> (FULL STOP) and ., (FULL STOP and COMMA) and ; (SEMICOLON) for various
    >> purposes. It is not proposed to re-encode all of these as modifier
    >> letters;

    Why not? It is not that there’s not already a large group of “duplicated”
    modifier letters that were historically hacked as such from punctuation
    marks, and that is a good thing. We all know why is good to have U+02BC
    separated from U+2019, or U+02CD from U+005F, and a bunch of others: Word
    count, insertion point movement, etc.

    --
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin                                            ____.
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt>                                          |  ()|