Re: 00B7 vs. 2027

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Sat Sep 18 2010 - 15:07:18 CDT

    Michael Everson wrote:

    > On 18 Sep 2010, at 20:23, Asmus Freytag wrote:
    >
    >> Why not use the character that was added to Unicode precisely for
    >> the purpose?
    >
    > Seems like that character needs an annotation, doesn't it?

    It depends on the annotation policy, which is somewhat unclear to me.

    The standard itself is very explicit about the character:

    “Hyphenation Point. U+2027 hyphenation point is a raised dot used to
    indicate correct word breaking, as in dic·tion·ar·ies. It is a punctuation
    mark, to be distinguished from U+00B7 middle dot, which has multiple
    semantics.”
    http://unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch06.pdf#page=18

    However, it is not easy to find such statements when you are interested in a
    particular character and do not wish to read through the entire standard.
    The standard would greatly benefit from cross references between its prose
    text and the character charts.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/