Re: Proposed Update Unicode Technical Standard #46 (Unicode IDNA Compatibility Processing)

From: Markus Scherer (markus.icu@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2010 - 15:10:41 CDT

    On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com> wrote:

    > *Question **2 of 4***
    >>
    >> *Line* 319
    >>
    >> *Input* …
    >> 1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234…
    >>
    >> *Reference* Sections 3.1 and 3.5 of *RFC 1034<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1034.txt>
    >> *
    >>
    >> *Issue* Per the reference, DNS labels cannot contain more
    >> than 63 octets. It appears that this is a purposeful test, since the first
    >> label is exactly 63 octets, and the second label is 64 octets. This does
    >> not apply to other applications, but these lines of input are not valid for
    >> DNS. There are three (3) such lines in the input file.
    >>

    > This appears to be a mistake in the conformance file generation. I'll look
    > at it to see what is happening.

    No mistake here: The 63-octet limitation only applies when generating a
    string for the DNS lookup, that is, in the ToASCII operation. It makes no
    sense to count DNS octets in a ToUnicode result.
    The test file has the appropriate error code for the ToASCII result, and the
    normal string result for ToUnicode.

    Best regards,
    markus