Re: OpenType update for Unicode 5.2/6.0?

From: Andrew Cunningham (lang.support@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 14 2010 - 17:14:11 CDT

    On 15 October 2010 03:16, Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> wrote:

    > So, I haven’t seen indications that the increased emphasis on standards
    > necessarily translates into quicker response in supporting all of Unicode.
    > Windows has for several years been further along than other OSs in the
    > number of scripts that are supported. I can’t speak to what the priorities
    > are for the next version of Windows, but I can tell you that Mandaic isn’t
    > even close. I’d speculate that for Apple there are some priorities are
    > around getting adoption of iPhone and iPad in additional markets, but that
    > Chinese will be given more priority than Hindi, Hindi more priority than
    > Amharic, and Amharic way more priority than Mandaic. And I’d speculate that
    > Google is in a similar mode.

    I've been monitoring solutions for mobile devices esp smart phones in
    south east asia, and there seems to be a growing trend to implement
    legacy encodings for pseudo-Unicode solutions that aren't dependent on
    complex rendering that's missing on mobile devices.

    > In other words, we’re still grinding along.

    and in some cases there is retrograde movement

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew Cunningham
    Senior Project Manager, Research and Development