Re: Is there a term for strictly-just-this-encoding-and-not-really-that-encoding?

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Thu Nov 11 2010 - 13:36:16 CST

    Scríobh 11/11/2010 18:38, Frank da Cruz:
    > Most people are not even old enough to know what I'm talking about; they
    > came of age in a Microsoft world.
    Make that "born into", rather than "came of age" in many instances,
    Frank. After an informative and enjoyable seminar on the virtual library
    in UCD today, I found myself describing with some enthusiasm living with
    VT100s and the DEC-20 and exchanging text msgs with a friend who was
    dodging scud missiles during the first Gulf War to an audience of one in
    the form of a brilliant student who listened politely but without
    comprehension (before it occurred to me I might be boring her and so
    made my escape from a gathering from which I learned more than I had
    brought to it today).
    > ... In any case, DEC's
    > influence is still felt to this day in that its terminal types (VT100, 220,
    > 320...) are widely emulated on PCs and widely supported by hosts (e.g. in
    > Unix termcaps/terminfos). To the extent that the emulation is true, Windows
    > code pages will break it every time.
    Although that is hard to believe, since you have always spoken only the
    truth in full measure of helpfulness down all the years, I do believe you!

    Ádh mór ort (Good luck),
    mg

    --
    Marion Gunn * eGteo (Estab.1991)