Re: Application that displays CJK text in Normalization Form D

From: James Cloos (cloos@jhcloos.com)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2010 - 15:22:20 CST

    JB> Firefox (3.6,12 - Ubuntu) placed the dakuten over the following katakana
    JB> and mangled the hangul. GNOME Terminal (2.28.1) did the same.

    That is a general PanGo (παν誤) issue. I don't know whether the new harfbuzz
    will do any better, yet.

    PangGo does get the hangul right if you choose any of the Un family of fonts,
    but it still fails to look as good.

    Interestingly, rxvt-unicode does get the katakana identically. (I have it
    configured to use Droid Sans Fallback as its first fallback font for CJK.)
    It also succeeds in making syllables of the choseong and jungseong chars,
    but like PanGo they are not as legible as the precomposed syllables.
    Even selection selects a syllable at a time.

    -JimC

    --
    James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6