Re: þorn.info // žorn.info = 1 alphabet vs. mxing of alphabets || idn查询.net

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2011 - 09:28:24 CST

    2011/2/7 JP Blankert (thuis & PC based) <jpblankert@zonnet.nl> wrote:
    > so I would say, without knowing the alphabets of þ and ž, that the glyphs of 'þorn'
    > are of one and the same alphabet and therefore accepted for registration
    > and glyphs are 'žorn' are not of the same alphabet.

    Time for you to visit the Michael Everson's site (and the related
    sites (even the English Wikipedia article would be much more accurate
    than what you affirm here) !

    These are completely unrelated letters, both in the Latin script (but
    used in separate alphabets for very different families of languages:
    the thorn letter is for Nordic languages, the letters with the caron
    diacritic are much more recent in history, and comes after several
    transforms in the late medieval and modern eras for Slavic East
    European languages.

    There may exist some coexistence within Baltic countries, where Nordic
    languages using thorn letters, and Slavic languages introducing the
    caron have coexisted, depending on the ruling empires at various
    periods ; but there is absolutely no relation between these letters in
    terms of glyphs and phonologies, and their history is completely
    distinct).