Emoji support as a Regional Consideration (Re: Call for Participation: 35th Internationalization and Unicode Conference)

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2011 - 01:56:52 CST

    On Tuesday 8 February 2011, announcements@unicode.org <announcements@unicode.org> wrote:

    > Regional Considerations
    >
    > • Languages of Africa, Asia, and the Middle East
    > • Locales and the Unicode Common Locale Data Repository (CLDR)
    > • Emoji support

    The inclusion of emoji support in this list surprised me.

    "Languages of Africa, Asia, and the Middle East" is about particular regions.

    "Locales and the Unicode Common Locale Data Repository (CLDR)" is about all regions, with some regions different from some other regions.

    Why is emoji support regarded as a regional consideration please?

    William Overington