Re: Three modest proposals

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sat Apr 02 2011 - 09:45:55 CST

    On 2 Apr 2011, at 15:17, Peter Constable wrote:

    > Given the date of submission and the complete lack of justification for any use as characters, I'm guessing that the proposals for cards and hatches are intended as jokes.

    You are mistaken. They are not.

    > In case not, I consider encoding of characters for hatches to be an extremely bad idea: these are not characters but graphic fills, of which there are a vast number.

    They are merely an extension of a small set of such fills, which have been standardized for centuries. It is a mistake to suggest that this is an endless set. The specific fill patterns and their meanings are in fact well-defined within a number of traditions, as shown in the proposal.