Re: math alphabets, WAS: Proprietary Card Decks

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2011 - 19:55:28 CDT

    On 4/13/2011 3:47 PM, Hans Aberg wrote:
    > Unicode does not have characters for say superscripts and subscripts, which are essential to math. My guess it would be too complicated to require it for current text-only renderers, but in the future that might change.
    No, because in math, superscript is not a character attribute but a
    formatting style that is applied to any term or formula and that can be
    fully (and infinitely) nested.

    That abstraction is better handled in markup than in plain text. (Unlike
    the mathalphanumerics, such markup is still independent of the font).

    A./