Unicode Consortium announces Localization Interoperability Technical Committee

From: announcements@unicode.org
Date: Fri Apr 29 2011 - 15:38:23 CDT

The Unicode Consortium announces a new technical committee, the Unicode
Localization Interoperability Technical Committee. Localization of software
information is a key part of the adoption of most software offerings in many
countries. The purpose of the new committee is to ensure interoperable data
interchange for critical localization-related assets, such as language
segmentation, translation source strings, translated strings, and
translation memories.

The initial focus of the Unicode Localization Interoperability (ULI)
Technical Committee is on the improved interoperability of translation
memories in the TMX format, segmentation rules that use the SRX format, and
translation source strings and resulting translated strings that use the
XLIFF format.

The ULI Technical Committee will establish profiles of use for TMX, SRX, and
XLIFF. The committee will develop and publish specifications that document
specific usage conventions that can be shared for interoperability. This
will improve data interchange through more consistent implementations and
will enhance the usefulness of these three standards.

For information on how to join the ULI effort and get involved in its work,
contact the Unicode Consortium with the contact form (see
http://www.unicode.org/reporting.html) and ask about the ULI.

To become a voting participant in the work of the ULI committee, join
Unicode in one of the three voting categories of membership: Full,
Institutional, or Supporting. See http://www.unicode.org/consortium/join.html .

For more details about the ULI, see: http://unicode.org/uli/

----
All of the Unicode Consortium lists are strictly opt-in lists for members
or interested users of our standards. We make every effort to remove
users who do not wish to receive e-mail from us. To see why you are getting
this mail and how to remove yourself from our lists if you want, please
see http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html#announcements