Re: RTL PUA?

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:21:13 +0100

On 19 Aug 2011, at 15:57, Doug Ewell wrote:

> Most applications don't care about the PUA, or assume it's only for that particular vendor's custom Latin-script ligatures and dictionary symbols.

And guess what: since my ligatures and dictionary symbols are LTR, I have no problem because the applications assume LTR directionality, just as they should.

> But you are certainly able to define the properties, and doing so is the conformant thing to do.

Directionality is a very deep property. A CSUR LTR script works fine out of the box on all platforms at least as far as directionality goes. A CSUR RTL script simply can't, and do you really think that "defining the properties" will effectively override the system-level expectations for LTR PUA on multiple platforms?

Very very very unlikely.