RE: What are the present criteria...

From: William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:31:20 +0100 (BST)

On Friday 19 August 2011, Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org> wrote:

> Sorry, in my attempt to avoid naming names I made it look as though Karl made that claim.  He did not.  William's message was the one that attempted to connect the dots between official WG2 policy and the German NB proposal.

Actually, I was contrasting comments that have been expressed in this mailing list over a long period with the comments made in the n4085.pdf document, and asking a question.

In fact, I had thought, at the time of writing my post, that one of the items in the list, namely the following, would be helpful in getting some symbols that I have devised in relation to my research encoded without first needing to achieve widespread usage using a Private Use Area encoding.

quote

– Evidence of prevention of an otherwise probable actual use due to the lack of encoding.

end quote

Since that time there have been developments in my understanding of the situation regarding the encoding of the symbols that I have devised, due to some extremely helpful advice in a private email that I received.

Some time later I read and considered the following text that Asmus wrote as a rephrasing.

quote

- evidence that it's likely a wrong character might be used for lack of an encoded character

end quote

That rephrasing simply did not align with how I had taken the meaning of the original: I had thought that it meant that an end user would be unable to use any regular Unicode character for the required task and that the task would not therefore be done at all using a regular Unicode ccharcater, not that a wrong character would be used.

It may well be that I read the text in the n4085.pdf document in the context of my desire to try to get the symbols that I have devised for my research encoded into regular Unicode without the need for there first being a widely used Private Use Area-based implentation of my idea, with the hope that a formal assessment of an encoding proposal using that rule might generate a lot of interest and that various people and companies would then make representations and that a better system than I had devised myself would be the result.

However, that was then. As I wrote a few paragraphs above, I have received some extremely helpful advice in a private email that I have received and that has lead to my changing my approach and I am trying to think out how best to proceed using the new approach to the problem.

William Overington