Re: Code pages and Unicode

From: Benjamin M Scarborough <benjamin.scarborough_at_utdallas.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:53:49 -0500 (CDT)

On 20 Aug 2011, at 00:35, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>And now we think that a little over a million is enough for everyone,
>just as they thought in the late 1980s that 16 bits is enough for everyone.

Whenever somebody talks about needing 31 bits for Unicode, I always think of the hypothetical situation of discovering some extraterrestrial civilization and trying to add all of their writing systems to Unicode. I imagine there would be little to unify outside of U+002E FULL STOP.

The point I'm getting at is that somebody always claims that U+0000..U+10FFFF isn't enough, but I never see convincing evidence or rationale that an expansion is necessary—just speculation.

—Ben Scarborough