Re: RTL PUA?

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:00:26 -0600

I think as soon as we start talking about this many scenarios, we are no
longer talking about what the *default* bidi class of the PUA (or some
part of it) should be. Instead, we are talking about being able to
specify private customizations, so that one can have 'AL' runs and 'ON'
runs and so forth.

There really isn't any way the UTC is going to approve changing one part
of the PUA to be default 'AL', another part 'R', another part 'ON', etc.
Asmus just said that merely assigning one plane to be different from the
others "should be a non-starter."

For this discussion, I really don't find it very interesting that
existing technologies A, B, and C don't currently provide a way to
override the default PUA properties. Through most of the 1990s, most
existing applications and technologies didn't support Unicode at all, or
very small parts of it, and the solution generally was to update them so
that they would. The same should be true here. I would suggest that
installing a modified copy of UnicodeData.txt seems like a rather clumsy
solution; if text files are involved, I'd suggest leaving
UnicodeData.txt alone and creating some sort of "overrides" file.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14
www.ewellic.org | www.facebook.com/doug.ewell | @DougEwell ­