RE: RTL PUA?

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:24:24 -0700

Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa at gmail dot com> wrote:

>> Right, so if you embed that table in an OT font, the information is not
>> available to a system that uses a font technology other than OT.
>
> I don't understand why you would say so -- assuming we are all talking
> about TrueType fonts, AAT just uses some tables, OT others and Graphite
> still others. They are all just tables appended to the TrueType font
> data. Any software that is able to read TT font data can also read the
> tables. So what's the problem?

OK, so it's obvious by now I'm not a font guy.

But I still maintain that there's more to proper handling of Unicode
characters, PUA or otherwise, than whether their directionality is LTR
or Arabic-RTL or non-Arabic-RTL or what have you. That's why all those
other properties exist. And I maintain that PUA users need a place to
store those other properties, and that the font doesn't seem like the
right place for non-display properties.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14
www.ewellic.org | www.facebook.com/doug.ewell | @DougEwell ­