Re: Code pages and Unicode

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 13:00:26 -0700

On 8/23/2011 12:00 PM, Richard Wordingham wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:18:56 -0700
> Ken Whistler<kenw_at_sybase.com> wrote:
>
>> How about Clause 12.5 of ISO/IEC 10646:
>>
>> <001B, 0025, 0040>
>>
>> You "escape" out of UTF-16 to ISO 2022, and then you can do whatever
>> the heck you want, including exchange and processing of complete
>> 4-byte forms, with all the billions of characters folks seem to think
>> they need.
>> Of course you would have to convince implementers to honor the ISO
>> 2022 escape sequence...
> Which they only need to if the text is in an ISO 2022 or similar
> context. Your idea does suggest that a pattern of
> <high><high><SO><low> would be reasonable.

I don't see where Ken's reply (as quoted) suggests anything like that.

What he wrote is that, formally, 10646 supports a mechanism to switch to
ISO 2022.

Therefore, formally, there's an "escape hatch" built in.

If and when such should be needed, in a few hundred years, it'll be there.
Until then, I find further speculation rather pointless and would love
if it moved off this list (until such time).

A./