Re: ligature usage - WAS: How do we find out what assigned code points aren't normally used in text?

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst_at_it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 11:16:11 +0900

On 2011/09/10 9:32, Stephan Stiller wrote:
> Actually, I *was* talking about purely typographic/aesthetic ligatures
> as well. I'm aware that which di-/trigraphs need to be considered from a
> font design perspective is language-dependent.

And this language-dependence is not only a question of letter
combination frequency, but also of aesthetic preference.

What I have heard very often is that Frenchs has a preference for using
many ligatures, whereas Italian uses almost none.

> But the point is that I
> observe that:
> (a) aesthetic ligatures are not frequently seen in modern German print and
> (b) the absence of such ligatures doesn't offend me (in modern German
> print).

I think part of that comes from the fact that with modern DTP, lots of
fonts are used across languages without any particular adjustments with
respect to ligatures. (This may not be the case for high-end order-made
fonts used by publishing houses, but it's certainly true for the
run-of-the mill Times Roman, Helvetica, and so on used on PCs.)

Typography is always an interplay between designer, reader, and
technology. So what probably happened is that the technology-induced use
of the same fonts across languages let to designs with less
language-specific ligatures (essentially lowest-common-denominators in
terms of ligatures) and to an adjustment of the designs so that this
infrequency of ligatures would be less visible. Also, you and other
readers got used to these designs.

Regards, Martin.