Re: ligature usage - WAS: How do we find out what assigned code points aren't normally used in text?

From: Szelp A. Szabolcs <a.sz.szelp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:42:37 +0200

Even if Dorfladen is not ambigous, it could be disturbing (and at first
reading be understood as some obscure compound of -fladen.

Once I read a text, it used ligature (inappropriately) in the word Auflage
'obligation', which is compounded from the prefix auf- 'upon' -lage , a
nominal derivative of 'to lay'. Anyway, it's one word with its own meaning.
Because of that stupid ligature I read it twice as [ofla:Ê’], thinking it
would be a yet-unknown French loanword, before finally realising it was
simply Auflage.

That mis-placed ligature really disturbed my reading flow, even though
Auflage would not be ambiguous (like Dorfladen).

/Sz