Re: ligature usage - WAS: How do we find out what assigned code points aren't normally used in text?

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 19:46:35 +0200

2011/9/12 Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper_at_crissov.de>

> Philippe Verdy:
>
> > And it would be desirable to have a standardized CSS property for
> controling this default behavior in browsers.
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-fonts/#font-variant-ligatures-prop>
>
> (In my opinion there would be better ways to spec this, though.

Interestingly it says:

common-ligatures
Enables display of common ligatures (OpenType feature: liga). For OpenType
fonts, common ligatures are enabled by default.

This means that German documents will really need to use ZWNJ (fortunately,
this character should soon become standard on German keyboards, and CSS3
would be a good motivation for including this key mapping) for common
ligatures like fi,fl, ff, ffi, ffl, Å¿t, or even tt...

They are not considered "discretionary ligatures" in most OpenType fonts
(OpenType feature: dlig, disabled by default), except if the font includes a
German specialization of those OpenType features (provided that browsers DO
honor the language markup in HTML documents or CSS styles, or in document
metadata).

I just hope that with the advances of HTML5, more authors will conform to
the standard and apply the markup or metadata for the language consistantly,
so that browsers will honor this language markup at least in HTML 5, even if
they continue to ignore it for HTML 4 or for XHTML 1.0 in compatibility
mode.