Re: Need for Level Direction Mark

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 23:49:30 +0100

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 05:44:27 +0200
Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> 2011/9/19 Peter Edberg <pedberg_at_apple.com>:

> > <snip> The whole point
> > of LDM was to be able to create semi-structured elements such as
> > the example in UAX #9 section 5.6 *without* knowing in advance
> > the direction context in which the element would be used.
>
> You absolutely don't need to know in advance the direction of context
> before using LRE..PDF or RLE..PDF. It will work in both directions,
> ordering and separating the fields in the same order as this context.
> So yes LRE..PDF and RLE..PDF create a semi-structure, which does fit.

Actually, no. A sequence <LRE embedded_1 PDF N LRE embedded_2 PDF>
will result in N being resolved as L by rule N1. Consequently
embedded_1 will display to the left of embedded_2 whatever the
context. You still need something like <LRE embedded_1 PDF RLM N LRE
embedded_2 PDF> to force embedded_1 to display before embedded_2
whichever the directionality of the embedding within which these
occur. (DLM could substitute for RLM and avoid untidily placed
non-rendering runs.) Alternatively, you could alternate LRE...PDF and
RLE...PDF.

You also need extra marks to avoid the structure sucking in adjacent
elements - you need either

<RLM LRE embedded_1 PDF RLM N LRE embedded_2 PDF RLM>

or

<DLM LRE embedded_1 PDF DLM N LRE embedded_2 PDF DLM>

Actually, I suppose you might benefit from replacing the final mark
above by an ALM.

Using embeddings has the advantage that one doesn't have to worry about
Arabic or European numbers.

Richard.