Re: about P1 part of BIDI alogrithm

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst_at_it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 13:39:36 +0900

On 2011/10/11 13:07, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:53:39 +0900
>> From: "Martin J. Dürst"<duerst_at_it.aoyama.ac.jp>
>> CC: li bo<libo.imc_at_gmail.com>, unicode_at_unicode.org
>>
>> This is different from what you did in Emacs, which I'd call
>> line-folding, i.e. cut the line after a paragraph is laid out and
>> reordered completely as a single (potentially very long) line. This
>> makes some sense in Emacs, where the basic assumption is that lines
>> should fit into the width of the view.
>
> Sorry, I don't follow you. There's no such "line-folding" in the
> Emacs implementation of the UBA. A line that doesn't fit the window
> width is reordered as a whole. Conceptually, reordering is done
> before breaking a long line into continuation lines.

This is exactly what I meant. In Emacs, reordering is done before
breaking a long line into smaller segments to fit into the width of the
display window. I called this "line-folding", you call it continuation
lines.

But in the bidi algorithm itself, line breaking (be it automatic due to
a layout algorithm or explicit due to LS or something similar) is
applied *before* reordering. This is very important, because otherwise,
content that is logically earlier may appear on later lines, which would
be very confusing for readers.

Regards, Martin.