Re: about P1 part of BIDI alogrithm

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst_at_it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:54:10 +0900

Hello Eli,

There is absolutely no problem to treat the algorithm in UAX#9 as a set
of requirements, and come up with a totally different implementation
that produces the same results. I think actually UAX#9 says so somewhere.

But what is, strictly speaking, not allowed is to change the
requirements. One requirement of the algorithm is that when lines are
broken, logically earlier characters stay on earlier lines, and
logically later characters move to later lines.

In this respect, your implementation doesn't conform to UAX#9. There's
an external reason for this, and an internal one. The external reason is
that continuation lines in Emacs are in general just an overflow device,
text in Emacs isn't supposed to be broken into lines in the same way as
e.g. word processors break lines to form paragraphs. I'm not sure how
much it is true (line breaks often e.g. interfere with formatting in
Japanese and other languages that don't use spaces between words and
don't work well with a convention of "convert a line break in the source
to a space in the output"), but I think to some extent it is true.

The internal reason is the one you describe below. It may indeed be a
strong reason from an implementation perspective, but from an user
perspective, it's a very weak reason. Also, I don't understand it fully.
You say that the Emacs display engine examines each character in turn.
Assuming these are in logical order, you would just examine them up to
the point where you have "about one line" of glyphs. There would indeed
be a bit of back and forth there because of the interaction between bidi
algorithm and glyph selection (but as far as I know, mirrored glyphs
mostly have the same width as their originals). Anyway, that bit of back
and forth seems to be much less of a problem than the back and forth
that you get when you have to reorder over much larger distances because
you're essentially considering a whole paragraph as a single line. But
I'm not an expert in Emacs display engine details, so I can't say for sure.

Regards, Martin.