Re: Arabic date format and Microsoft programs

From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz_at_gnu.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 04:08:55 -0400

> Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 08:42:02 +0200
> From: Simon Montagu <smontagu_at_smontagu.org>
>
> On 10/15/2011 05:19 PM, Andreas Prilop wrote:
> > I return to
> > http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2011-m10/att-0059/1999-12-31.html
> >
> > Microsoft programs (Internet Explorer, MS Word), display this as
> > 31/12/1999
> >
> > Other programs (Firefox, Opera, OpenOffice) display this as
> > 1999/12/31
>
> Given that the bidi category of U+002F is CS, 1999/12/31 seems to be the
> correct rendering following rule W4 of the Bidi Algorithm: "A single
> common separator between two numbers of the same type changes to that type".
>
> Note that this changed in version 4.0.1 of Unicode -- before that the
> category of U+002F was ES, which would make the correct rendering
> 31/12/1999 as in Microsoft programs.

Actually, it's the other way around: U+002F being a CS, the correct
display is 31/12/1999, while if it where an ES, the correct display
would have been 1999/12/31. I verified this with the Reference
Implementation (where, confusingly, `/' is ES, so you need to use
something else, like a comma).

Btw, according to my testing, the current Firefox displays this as
31/12/1999. I don't have Opera or OO to check there, but it's
possible that the OP was using old versions of these that were still
using the old Unicode data base.