Re: Yiddish digraphs

From: Ken Whistler <kenw_at_sybase.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:54:35 -0700

On 10/19/2011 12:08 PM, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
> I think the issue here is (probably) a matter of legacy encodings,
> though someone else would need to confirm that.

O.k., as self-appointed historian of the standard, I guess I need to be
the one to answer that. ;-)

The Yiddish digraphs were added to the basic set of Hebrew letters for
Unicode 1.0 on behalf of the Research Libraries Group, for compatibility
with their existing usage on the Research Libraries Information Network
(RLIN).

Digging very deep in the old mailbox, I located email from Joan Aliprand
of the Research Libraries Group, dating from July 11, 1991 confirming
this, and noting that "I pushed very hard for inclusion of the Yiddish
digraphs tsvey vovn and tsvey yudn."

It is my recollection that the 3rd digraph was added during the
discussion of
the addition of those two.

At any rate, there is your legacy encoding source for these. Whether or not
the digraphs are used in *current* Yiddish data (or would even be
recommended for such use) is not relevant to reasons for the original
inclusion.

--Ken