Re: [indic] Re: Lack of Complex script rendering support on Android

From: Mahesh T. Pai <paivakil_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 19:04:41 +0530

John Hudson said on Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 09:23:37PM -0400,:

> I don't know why OT Layout is not yet implemented in Android phones.
> I can think of a number of possible reasons, a combination of which
> might apply. One is that the developers simply have not done the
> work yet, but intend to. Another is that they have concerns about
> font size on mobile devices, which has delayed support for fonts

After looking at the directory structure of my Android device under
the stock Samsung ROM (both 2.2.2 Froyo and 2.3.3 and 2.3.4
Gingerbread), as well as CyanogenMod 7.1, (which is very stock AOSP),
and the files in there, (but not the soruce code or compilation
process, I fell that this is more a case of not enabling compile time
switches to support Indic modules.

This is of course, subject to the caveat - I do not understand much of
coding.

> with large layout tables. Another is that they have security
> concerns about OTL tables in fonts (Google's webfont sanitiser was
> stripping OTL tables from fonts served to Chrome for this reason,
> as I understand; I'm not sure if this has changed yet).

Really?? Any pointers? I can't find any.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||