tips on writing character proposal

From: Larson, Timothy E. <TELarson_at_west.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 14:58:47 -0600

Hello!

I'm new here, but have already read some of the online documentation for proposing new characters. I'm still a bit unsure how to go about it. Or even who can do it. Can individuals submit ideas, or do you need to be the representative of some agency or group? How much supporting background information is deemed sufficient? Where do I find details (more than just the pipeline table) of current pending proposals?

Here are my ideas in very abbreviated form. If these are non-starters from the beginning, I'd as soon know it sooner rather than later.

These first several self-descriptive shapes are simply things I've seen suggested and wished for online for some time.

2B5A CLOCKWISE SPIRAL
2B5B COUNTER-CLOCKWISE SPIRAL
2B5C CLOCKWISE DOUBLE SPIRAL
2B5D COUNTER-CLOCKWISE DOUBLE SPIRAL

The next several are a response to a perceived deficiency in standardization of religious symbols. I suggest starting these cultural symbols at 2BC0 to distinguish them from the generic/geometric symbols earlier in the block. Very brief description/background given.

2BC0 ICHTHYS ="Jesus fish", symbol used by ancient Christians for identification, denotes non-denominational and inter-denominational Christianity in modern times
2BC1 TRIQUETRA =three-lobed vesicae piscis, used in Christianity and ancient/modern paganism
2BC2 MENORAH =7-branched temple lamp, ancient symbol of Judaism
2BC3 HANUKIAH =9-branched Hanukkah lamp

Thank you,
Tim