Re: combining: half, double, triple et cetera ad infinitum

From: Karl Pentzlin <karl-pentzlin_at_acssoft.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 14:43:54 +0100

Am Montag, 14. November 2011 um 14:15 schrieb satai:

s> It is quite typical for old Slavic or Georgian texts to find a
s> tilde/titlo over more than two characters. ...

s> There should be some general (not Coptic only) encoding for these
s> cases. ...

While some of the characters in the "Combining Half Marks" block in
fact are encoded due to Coptic evidence, there is no restriction to
use them in other contexts. In fact, the additions accepted based on
http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n4078.pdf all are based on
different evidence.

If you (or anybody else) proposes the same for "tilde/titlo", first it
is to be considered that Unicode regards "tilde" and "titlo" as
different entities. Thus, while "tilde" building blocks are already
there (I overlooked this in my first mail on this thread), analogous
"titlo" building blocks have to be proposed separately (two characters
for the left and right end; probably U+FE26 can be used for the middle
part, like it is done for bow ("ligature") and tilde).
As usual, such a proposal has to contain convincing evidence (which
should not be a problem if the multiple titlo is in fact "quite typical").

- Karl