Re: Upside Down Fu character

From: Peter Cyrus <pcyrus_at_alivox.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 21:56:25 +0100

This discussion has veered close enough to my pet project (the Shwa
script) to comment.

I plan to implement it in the PUA, both to demonstrate its value and
viability and to find the problems and correct them before they get
frozen into Unicode (if ever). I accept that means an eventual
recoding, which I hope can be applied without changing the last two
hex digits of the encoding, e.g. changing just the pages. That seems
to me a reasonable and viable route to inclusion.

What worries me is the number of technical decisions that will have
been made long before an application for inclusion into Unicode. It
seems to me there is a risk that those decisions will then become
written in stone for compatibility reasons, and will never have been
exposed to the debate they would engender on this list, for instance.
There seems to be a gap in the process.

One solution would be to institute a sandbox in the PUA, inspired by
the ConScript Unicode Registry except with non-permanent entries.
There, new characters and scripts could enjoy widespread use and
delayed stability until they were ready for inclusion, while at the
same time profiting from the scrutiny of the Unicode community.

If this "Unicode Prep" existed, you could assign Upside-Down Fu to it
without much hesitation, and see who uses it in plaintext for a few
years. If accepted, it would have to be recoded, but that might be
the least of all evils.