Re: Armenian Eternity Sign (proposal)

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:58:07 +0000

I would not worry about this, Alex.

One of the characters has been added in part for compatibility with an existing Armenian Standard, and is named because of its use, with a particular meaning ('eternity') in Armenia. This does not prevent anyone in Georgia or anywhere else from using it as a decorative symbol (designating the sun or anything else).

In fact the two characters are being encoded not in Plane 1, but in the Armenian block. I happen to know that some Armenian font foundries are working on early implementations using the code positions there.

> Since the symbols are widely used in different cultures (and nowadays also!), their direct attribution to a certain nation in an international standard will be extremely biassed. Do I understand right, that in this case the proper solution will be a neutral name for both entries in the Miscellaneous Symbols and Pictographs block and adding interpretations specific to a certain nationality via aliases?

Please do not get worried about "bias" in the international standard. These are just dingbats. They're named for the source of their encoding (an Armenian standard). You can use them for whatever you like, however, and you don't have to worry about their names.