Re: Armenian Eternity Sign (proposal)

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:54:04 +0000

On 19 Jan 2012, at 16:33, satai wrote:

> RIGHT-FACING ETERNITY SIGN and LEFT-FACING ETERNITY SIGN are completely neutral names.

Except that this is used as an Eternity Sign only in Armenia. it does not seem to me that "The Borjgali (a Georgian symbol of the Sun with seven rotating wings)" shown on some of the coins athttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_lari is an eternity symbol. Nor have you shown evidence that the Borjgali is used anywhere in text. Or that it has two different rotations. Or discussed whether the use of seven wings on the Borjgali sign is meaningful.

One of these two characters is being encoded for compatibility with Armenian character sets; both characters and their names are supported by the Armenian Standards body.

Perhaps you have a different character, but the name of the character being encoded is not, I believe, a misnomer. Even if the character may have other names.