Re: [indic] Written Tamil and Srivas' Theory

From: Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:27:33 +0530

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Mahesh T. Pai <paivakil_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> The limited (written) Tamil I know does not have a character / glyph
> for the sound /zha/. (U+0D34 in Malayalam). Tamil instead uses the
> (what I believe is the) equivalent of, U+0D33.

Mahesh, who said Tamil doesn't have a character for /zha/? This is quite
crazy. Did you look at the Tamil codechart for the corresponding character
of 0D34 viz 0BB4? Apparently not. Look at the chart. You will find that ழ
and ഴ are quite similar. They are both descended from the Vatteluttu /zha/.

And while ழ/ഴ is a retroflex approximant (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroflex_approximant) ள/ള is a retroflex
*lateral* approximant (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroflex_lateral_approximant) and yes it *is*
the palate which the folded tip of the tongue touches.

As for the Point of Articulation theory, I have nothing to say except "let
us go back to our work".

--
Shriramana Sharma