Re: ZWNJ And Non-spacing Marks

From: Mark Davis ☕ <mark_at_macchiato.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:23:19 -0800

In TUS, in http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode6.1.0/ch03.pdf

D56 Combining character sequence: A maximal character sequence
 consisting of either a
base character followed by a sequence of one or more characters where each
is a
combining character, zero width joiner, or zero width non-joiner; or a
sequence of one or more characters where each is a combining character,
 zero
width joiner, or zero width non-joiner.

So 'a' is the base character for the acute. The clauses with zwj/nj are
really designed for Indic and similar scripts. The rendering isn't
specified for other cases, but where the zwj/nj are not defined to have an
effect, they should* be ignored for normal rendering. That being said, this
is such an edge case that I don't think the 'should' is enough to jump
through hoops for.

Mark <https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>
*
*