Re: Emoji domains

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:30:04 +0100

But the ICANN normally has a signed contract with the registry that it
wil operate for the general benefit of the communities, using *fair*
commercial practice. The same contract then assumes that this will be
observed by registrars who should also operate fairly.

If a registrar sells a name that is not functional, according to any
approved protocol, that sale is not fair, the purchaser pays for a
name that will not be functional with most applications for most users
of these applications. May be the buyer does not care and just wants
to harvest a security hole found in some softwares that fails to also
check the validity of such domain name (in that case it is very likley
that the buyer violated the rules on purpose just to create problems
to others).

Otherwise, this was just an error from the buyer, that will be very
dissatisfied when he will see that the domain he just bought had an
error that the registry should have detected. So the registrar just
stole the money by negligence... Will the buyer get the right to renew
its application for a domain name, or be refunded ?

In all cases, those registrations are just pollution of the worldwide
DNS and will cause unnecessary traffic and disputes. ICANN should
really investigate how the RFC's are enforced by registries at least,
so that no registrar can't pollute them by bad names.

If later there's any desire to moentize some new sets of possible
names (in domain names or in other protocol field names), this will
require first a serious investigation about compatibility issues (at
least) and the applicable naming rules, as well as the condition of
sales (who can sell them, who fixes the prices due to the registry,
how much will go to ICANN or ISOC or IETF or others, including the
Unicode consortium if it applies as a candidate hold to hold some
registry or wants to act as a registrar to some classes of names
usable in some protocols...)

Note that the ISOC is not the only one to rule various protocol
registries. There are tons of protocols that have been opened for use
by other with extension mechanims requiring a registration of some
name or identifier, in a registry that the initial protocol owner will
maintain. Plus many mappings used to map a name used in one protocol
into another protocol (such as URNs).