Re: Mark-Driven Script Categorisation

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 03:15:44 +0200

So all this looks like a legacy, coming from ages where Unicode was
not very developed. I wonder what is the effective origin (and time)
of this Lao keyboard. If it comes from a mechanical typewriter layout,
it would be interesting to see how the glyph looked like : did it
really have serifs (like most mechanical typewriters had) ?

Are serifs used in Lao prints ? How does it work when a multilingual
Lao text mixes Latin words in Lao text : are these "x" used as Lao
vowels bearers styled differently ?

If so, it would be highly preferable to encode it as a plain Lao
letter. The Lao keyboard layout is then just an old legacy that could
be revised to use a better assignment. Otherwise the solution would be
that Lao fonts define a special subsitution rule when it is used as a
bearer, in order to offer compatibility with the legacy, so that it
looks the same as the multiplication sign with which it was visually
unified on the keyboard, even if a more modern text encoding would use
an effective Lao letter rather than the multiplication sign or the
Latin x, for use as a vowel bearer. In that case, it would collate at
the beginning of the Lao alphabet, but after vowel marks.

Another solution would also be to encode it as a cross-script symbol
for SE Asian scripts, except that it would still be considered a
letter in its properties, and possibly elligible in identifiers
(including as the initial).

For now the Latin letter x just breaks every word breakers (or Lao
would require a special rule like Japanese to allow mixing scripts,
plus various adjustments for text parsers and in renderers, as well as
in fonts that combine Lao, Basic Latin and ASCII punctuation and
symbols).