Re: CLDR and ICU

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 21:21:46 +0100

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 17:39:55 -0700
Ken Whistler <kenw_at_sybase.com> wrote:

> > The ICU implementation of collation tailoring for changed ordering
> > is bizarre in some complicated cases. (Life can be complicated.)
> > Should UTS#35 be documenting what ICU does, or should Unicode be
> > saying what ICU should do when implementing a tailoring expressed
> > in LDML?

> Well, "Unicode" should not be "saying" what anybody should do here.

I thought the Unicode Consortium had a formal policy of forbidding
untrue (or "misleading") claims of conformance to Unicode standards.
And yes, I understand that there is limited point in producing
standards no one considers it worth striving to conform to.

> UTS #35 is owned by the CLDR-TC, not the UTC or the Unicode Consortium
> as a whole.

I've dug further into the structure of Unicode, and now see that the
CLDR-TC is independent of the UTC, though both depend on the full
members of the Consortium for their authority. Indeed, it seems that
the UTC could have a policy of forbidding non-characters in
publicly available plain text data files, while the CLDR-TC could
positively encourage them!

Richard.