Re: Mayan numerals

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:05:15 +0100

On 20 Aug 2012, at 18:42, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> But I'm a newbie here on this list. I brought this issue up here, and there weren't many non-joke responses. Does that mean I should give up? Or if not, what should I do next?

I don't think we should encode Mayan numbers until we are ready to encode the script as a whole, in the same way that we did Egyptian Hieroglyphs and are doing Anatolian Hieroglyphs now.

Some years back I did some preliminary work on Mayan. It will be quite a job, and will take more resources to do that work than we have at present. Moreover, approaching any of the professional Mayanists about this before December of this year would probably be fruitless at best.

In any case, just doing a subset of Mayan doesn't make sense.