Re: Compiling a list of Semitic transliteration characters

From: Naena Guru <naenaguru_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:09:03 -0500

{Sorry for this delayed response. I had it in he drafts box]

INDIC:

Speculation is one, doing is another. I have *successfully* transliterated
Singhala. Devanagari is perhaps less complicated. I haven't had the time
and money to do it. The difference between the two is not even as much as
between common Latin and Cyrillic.

Statements like,

Using Unicode is recommended in preference to any code page because it has
better language support and is less ambiguous than any of the code pages.

are trying to assert untruths, that people tend to believe without concrete
reasons. 'better language support' and 'less ambiguous'?

That statement is by Microsoft right in the registration of Windows-1252
that plainly contravenes Unicode:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/goglobal/cc305145.aspx

All languages in the Developed countries in the West including English, use
Windows-1252! And all others who use double-byte etc. use UTF-8 to
transport their codes across the web, because only Single-byte codes are
trustworthy. We used Base64 for the same end in the 90s.

I agree that following ISCII, whatever it is, might be the problem. Even
so, that is no excuse for not researching enough and fixing the problem.
After all, the claim is that Unicode provides BETTER LANGUAGE SUPPORT and
LESS AMBIGUITY -- both of them were happily presented with Unicode Sinhala.
But what happened? Why do we see constant questions regarding Unicode Indic?

I researched into how Sanskrit and Pali was transliterated during the
letterpress days and why they were so successful and without loss in
mapping. If that was not so, we wouldn't have such a comprehensive Sanskrit
dictionary like Monier-Williams available on the web. The transliteration
of Sanskrit is perfect whether ITRANS or Harvard-Kyoto.

The same is true about PTS Pali.Half a century ago, I worked with Ven.
Nyanaponika (the ultimate BuJu) when printing Pali, and I know the real
technicalities letterpress printers faced. I know why certain diacritics
were chosen and why some letters were chosen over others though they seem
more logical.

I have demonstrated in the following page how romanized Singhala, IAST and
HK match perfectly, and they are simple direct mappings (read the
Javascript):
http://www.lovatasinhala.com/liyanna-e.php#sanskrit

It is presumptuous to say, "the rest of the post is irrelevant". It has the
same attitude as the statement I gave above said by Microsoft."We know
what's best for you (and remember that we hold all the strings). So do as
we say".

*halanta *means *hal anta*, ending consonant. (*hal *= consonant).
*virAma *means
closing and in grammar it means the last consonant without a vowel
following it. *mAtra *means a measure. It is an IE cognate of measure,
meter etc. In grammar it means the spoken length of a short vowel, same as
mora in Latin. All these three terms are used misleadingly in
Unicode documentation. Instead of 'language support', it mangles language.

SEMITIC LANGUAGES:
I checked the Arabic alphabet in Wikipedia. It is similar to the older
Indic writing, Brahmi in particular, where there is no consonant sign, but
it is understood in the context (a, i etc).