Re: Hebrew with Arabic-like pointing

From: Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 07:39:15 -0700

> It is the Arabic original of "The Guide for the Perplexed" of
> Maimonides, in Hebrew letters. The reference says "The Guide for the
> Perplexed : The Arabic original as published by Shelomo Ben-Eli'ezer
> Munk: with alternative versions, indexes and sections handwritten by
> the Rambam, Rabbi Moshe Ben Maimon"

Thank you!

> Writing the local languages with Hebrew letters was quite common,
> especially Arabic, German and Spanish (Castilian).

Interesting. There seems to be a pattern where small populations stick
to their script while learning the languages of the surrounding
populations (and writing both in their own script).

> It seems that diacritic are used rather freely, both following Arabic
> practice (I guess in cases the author thought it was necessary to
> distinguish between similar words) and as the OP suggests to represent
> phonemes missing in Hebrew.

Oh, btw I noticed that typesetting-wise there were no diacritics below
the letters, only above. Anyways, the question is answered.

Stephan