Re: Caret

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 08:34:25 +0100

One bad thing of this scheme is that a user that is counting the character
graphemes manually by pressing only the RIGHT key from the start of the
line up to the end of the line may count an extra position each time the
UBA-resolved direction changes on the line.

Another solution for the editor in that case is to still display the two
carets, but if they cannot be displayed both at the same time in the same
rendered view of the text, it can split the view area in two equal-width
halves : a left view and a right view (with an explicit view separator
appearing, each one possibly having its own horizontal bar), where each
view will show a correctly positioned caret, each one showing the correct
UBA-resolved direction of each context.

The splitted views should not be used if both carets can be displayed in
the same view without having to scroll it horizontally.

In a WYSIWYG edited document, where the editing view can show BOTH the left
and right margin of the intended page (or where automatic linewraps are
generated, such as most HTML pages in a web browser that displays an
editable text field), and where no horizontal scrollbar is needed for the
editable field view, all lines of the paragraph are completely displayed,
the UBA algorithm is applied line by line, and the two carets are always on
the same rendered line. They can always be made BOTH visible at the same
time on that line, each one showinf its correct direction (with their arrow
head).

The splitted dual view (left part and right part) of the same edited text
will only appear for editing ling lines that don't fit in the edit view
area and on which the two carets are too far away on the line to be both
visible at the same time (that view should already have the horizontal bar
for this case, but here the horizontal scrollbar may be splitted below each
part).