Re: io9 describes Unicode as one of the 10 most unlikely things influenced by J.R.R. Tolkien

From: Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 15:37:26 +0530

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 1:03 AM, Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com> wrote:
> Well, this was as much a surprise to me as it might to some of you, but io9, a blog that covers science, science fiction, and the future, says that Unicode is one of the top ten most unlikely things that were influenced by Tolkien -- because they'd heard Jackie Kashian's Dork Forest interview with me made in September of this year, and think that I've had a lot of influence on Unicode!
>
> I couldn't be more proud. 😊

Well nice to hear, and of course you have contributed a lot to Unicode!

But I fail to see the logical connection between Unicode as a
technical standard and Tolkien! I hadn't heard about this website, but
if they purport to write on science, but make such illogical
deductions, I am not sure I'll be reading it much in future.

--
Shriramana Sharma