Re: End of story character

From: Joó Ádám <adam_at_jooadam.hu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 14:12:36 +0100

I don’t know of its use outside of Hungary, but here, as the quote of
Halmos suggests, the tombstone is traditionally used in print
magazines as end of story. We have adopted it to the web on the
Weblabor magazine, where it stands at the end of all blog posts, so
the reader knows if it worths to open the story on its own, or the
excerpt on the front page was the whole story.

We had a problem with U+220E END OF PROOF though, as in most fonts it
is a rectangle, while in traditional use it is almost always a perfect
square. So we decided to use U+25A0 BLACK SQUARE instead, which has
its own problem since it really is oversized for this usage, so we had
to mark it up and scale it down.

An example (the square stands on its own line because of the
limitations of our implementation for the time being; it actually
should be the last character of the closing paragraph):
http://weblabor.hu/blog/20120801/magyarorszagi-web-konferencia-2012

I’m curious whether this character would be eligible for
disunification, introducing an END OF STORY character for traditional
journalistic use, based on the fact that END OF PROOF seems to be
consistently differ in shape, and the precedence of many symbols also
in mathematical use encoded separately.