Re: Long-term archiving of electronic text documents

From: Clive Hohberger <cph13_at_case.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:58:02 -0600

Using UTF64 with 48 bits of Reed-Solomon error correction (RSEC) on a
single UTF-16 data codeword would allow you to recover 24 data or EC bits.
Remember that the EC bits, being in the same codeword, are just as likely
to be damaged as the data.

Ottos' comment is more practical. You have 11 unused data bits which would
allow correcting 5 data or EC bits.

Jim's idea is how things are done in practice in bar codes, hard drives and
space communications: The data is typically byte oriented and broken into
blocks. Each block carries so many bytes of RSEC. Blocks are then
interleaved, so that loss of a contiguous portion of the string is spread
over many blocks and more likely not to exceed the error correction
capacity of a single block.
-
Clive P. Hohberger, PhD MBA
Managing Director