Re: Case-folding dotted i

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 04:01:24 +0100

It was not an April joke, it is very serious, even if the use of the
character is from children or young people sending love letters or
decorating their books or writing postal cards. This combining symbol
is one of the most wellknown decoration you can find on texts. Of
course it does not modigy the meaning of the letters it decorates, but
it adds its own semantic by itself.
But you could argue that this is in fact a variant of these i and j
letters, similar to the swash decodaring letters, so it could as well
be encoded as variants of i and j (normaly this decoration should not
occur if there are other diacritics above these letters, so the
question about how to present it if there's an extra acute accent for
example is not relevant (most probably the heart would disappear as
well, it dose not change the soft-dotted behavior of these letters,
and I've not heard cases where the hearts would appear above other
letters (in this case, the heart just occurs on the base line, or as
spacing superscripts if they accour within the text run and not in the
margins)