Re: Rendering Raised FULL STOP between Digits

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 22:15:35 +0000

On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 15:09:53 -0500
James Cloos <cloos_at_jhcloos.com> wrote:

Apropos having two renderings for U+002E:
> ... note that if nothing
> else is suitable, one always could use a StylisticSet to do the
> substitution.

That would be a better way of handling it than a false language
setting. Language settings, being invisible, have a nasty tendency to
leak to where they're not intended. I've had no success trying it out
in OpenOffice or LibreOffice, and Windows 2010 reportedly doesn't allow
two different sets in the same document.

> I wonder what other typographic or handwriting traditions also are
> exactly opposite on the two sides of the pond?

The interaction of quotes with other punctuation is supposed to be a
case, though it is also claimed that there is no national uniformity.
The same goes for the choice of single and double quotes.

Richard.