Re: Rendering Raised FULL STOP between Digits

From: Karl Williamson <public_at_khwilliamson.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 16:21:17 -0700

On 03/09/2013 03:41 PM, Asmus Freytag wrote:

>> Due to another unfortunate unification (or semi-unification), 0387
>> (Greek ano teleia) has been defined as canonical equivalent to 00B7,
>> with the note “00B7 is the preferred character”. This means that glyph
>> design for 00B7 needs to take this into account, and since Greek ano
>> teleia isn’t really a middle dot (rather, an upper dot, appearing
>> roughly around the x-height of a font, rather than at half of
>> x-height, which is a natural position for middle dot).
>
> This appears to be another possible mistake. However, the Greek script
> does provide a context which could be used to select the "ano teleia"
> appearance and properties (unless you tell me that the character appears
> in Greek surrounded by non-Greek alphabet characters).

Rendering is not the only consideration. Processing textual content for
0387 is broken because it is considered to be an ID_Continue character,
whereas its Greek usage is equivalent to the English semicolon,
something that would never occur in the middle of a word nor an identifier.

I believe the reason it is an IDC is because of the unfortunate
singleton decomposition to 00B7, for historical reasons. My
understanding is that people in Unicode want 00B7 to work in Catalan,
and so is an IDC, and when that change was made, it was forgotten that
whatever happens to 00B7 drags 0387 along.

00B7 and 0387 are the only two punctuation characters that are also IDC.
  This makes no sense. Note that tr18 has a compatibility property,
"word", which these are not members of.

Please don't talk about 00B7 without considering the effect on 0387.