Re: Rendering Raised FULL STOP between Digits

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 02:47:42 +0100

2013/3/10 Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>:
> On 3/9/2013 3:41 PM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
>>
>> 2013/3/9 Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>:
>>>
>>> This appears to be another possible mistake. However, the Greek script
>>> does
>>> provide a context which could be used to select the "ano teleia"
>>> appearance
>>> and properties (unless you tell me that the character appears in Greek
>>> surrounded by non-Greek alphabet characters).
>>
>> And even this basic rule will be defeated in maths formulas where the
>> MIDDLE DOT 00B7 has been used as a common multiplication operator, along
>> with numbers and variables named after Greek letter. Of course Unicode has
>> now distinctive symbols for maths, but that's another story.
>
> RIght, because 22C5 exists for that purpose.

But still, all the other related symbols are multipurpose and cannot
be fixed. They are still usable including in maths contexts, even if
their rendering is not always adequate for maths (where they may
become confusable).

But still these other characters should not need to take maths into
consideration, so the MIDDLE DOT 00B7 should still behave correctly in
Catalan as a diacritic and as a punctuation, and should remain:

- between the middle of the M-height and the middle of the x-hieight
(for correct display after l/L, or as a punctuation);

- but not on the middle of the math line like 22C5 (along with the
mathematic MINUS sign and the PLUS sign, the same center used as well
for the x-shaped multiplication sign, the division sign... all these
maths symbols having more strict presentation constraints).