Re: Shaping Hangul text with U+115F and/or U+1160

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 08:32:03 +0100

The "Default ignorable" property has nothing to do with rendering or
being zero-width, it's just a matter of collation (comparing strings
for similarity, for plain-text searches, or sorting them), it does not
necesarily mean that the character is zero-width (that's a rendering
property).

Characters that are "default ignorable" may still have an effect on
cluster boundaries used when editing texts, if you count manually the
number of zero-width characters (by pressng the left or right arrow
fnction keys.) As long as the rendering is correct, editors may allow
you to place insertion points between them.

U+115F is the choseong filler (used when there's no leading consonnent
to place before a medial vowel), U+1160 is the jungseong filler (used
to replace a missing medial or final vowel).

You're right when saying that there should be two clusters in
<U+115F, U+1161>, <U+112B, U+1160>
- The first one is a isolated vowel A, it should become spacing but
U+115F is just used as an invisible holder for the vowel,
- The second one is an isolated consonnant KAPYEOUNPIEUP, and the
U+1160 filler will remain invisible except that it iis used here so
that it explicitly terminates the cluster if it was followed by a
leading consonnant or dirctly by a "defective" vovel.

But the U+115F and U+1160 Hangul fillfers remain default ignorable in
collation. And there's no bug about this.