Re: Why wasn't it possible to encode a coeng-like joiner for Tibetan?

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 11:17:25 +0100

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 15:42:02 +0600
Christopher Fynn <chris.fynn_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Simply stacking glyphs doesn't really work In Tibetan either. <snip>
> Very rarely you find occurrences of vowels written in the middle of a
> stack - or even one consonant written horizontally beside another in
> the middle of a vertical stack. I don't think anything handles these
> things properly though.

I have been advised that these are not plain text. I did once read that
there was a way of encoding vowels in the middle of a stack, but I never
found out what it was.

The only connection these details have with COENG is that I have
envisaged a horizontal combining control character for specifying such
sideways progressions in the middle of a stack. It did seem excessive
to have a third or even fourth set of characters, though we have been
assured there is plenty of space left in the supplementary planes.

Richard.